Sunday, November 12, 2023

Dreams and desires

Date: 11.11.23

Location: B-Hub co learn ,Kazhakootam, Trivandrum 

Epilogue: 

This was a piece that was written as part of a writing workshop that I recently attended in Trivandrum. The time given was 30 minutes and the prompt was shared at the beginning of the 30 minutes

The prompt was as follows

Dreams and desires :-"Write about a character who experiences vivid dreams that mirror their inspoken desires and fears. Explore how these dreams impact their waking life and relationships"

My life is like a suspended dream all along. I wake up in the morning brush my teeth thinking I am playing for the Indian cricket team.I switch on the lights in the room to make my mother think that I am studying. I go to sleep thinking who my room mate in the team is going to be. Sachin Tendulkar would be good.

I wake up with a start after hearing the rebuke of being a lazy bone in my Father's voice. Yet another dream of my father who is no more. I scan my surroundings my mother busy in the kitchen is getting break fast and lunch ready she has not discovered me yet. I yawn and go out of the room to give her an impression that I was studying for the last hour. We leave together she to work and me to school.

Today is my Maths exam yesterday I had dreamt that I had topped the exam. I open my exam paper and walk into a cricket field. Glen McGrath is bowling and Sachin Tendulkar is my partner. I flick the first ball of the match over mid wicket for a nonchalant six.

The shrill sound of the bell brings me back to my senses. I only have half an hour to finish the paper. I am sure I will top this exam.After the exam we have classes in the afternoon. During the English period I am giving an interview to Harsha Bhogle on being the Man of the match in the World Cup semi finals.

It's evening now and I go back home. The house is empty my mother will come back from work only in the night. I imagine how my life would have been if I had an elder sister. She would have taken care of me until my mother comes back from work. When my mother comes in I am dozing off on my study table. We have food and go to sleep.

The next day I wake up thinking about doing an advertisement with Aishwarya Rai for Close up. I am in high spirits when I reach school.

I am awakened to reality when i get yesterday's Maths Paper where I score 0/25. I feel sad for the rest of the day because Aishwarya Rai has cancelled the shoot when she is told that I am a tenth class fail .

Prologue:

  A few firsts happened here

  First 

  •   writing workshop
  •   I am writing on a phone
  •   writing on someone else's subject
  •   writing within a deadline- 30 minutes

  At the end it felt really nice 


  

1 comment: