Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Memories #8 - Reading-Part 2


First year in the Engineering College was very different because it was a new and colorful world with unbridled freedom. You would rather hang out with your friends and roam around the city rather than cuddle up in a corner of your room with a book in your hand. It was only during the middle of the Second year that I came back to the world of books again. This was during the semester breaks when you get a week or so off before the next semester starts. This was the time when I started reading the Bourne Series. Eric Lustbader’s Miko-Ninja series and getting a glimpse of the James Hadley Chase Series of books.  Those were the days when you remain shut in the room for the entire day reading and going out of the room to only eat. I recollect vaguely that I used to cover up to 300 pages in a day at that time. After a book I ensured that I took a break and went out with friends. In all probability they would give me a look of bewilderment when I tell them as to what I was up to for the rest of the days.
It was around this time that I got to hear about the British Council of India Library in Trivandrum. It was one of the best libraries in town fully air-conditioned and also boasted a very good ambience of the reading hall. It was quite different from the Central Public Library that we were accustomed to. I remember once we had to write a project on the poet Oscar Wilde. I had gone to the Public Library along with a couple of friends took out some reference books made notes on the author spending a day or so over there. Then wrote a fair copy and submitted for grading.  Coming back to the British Library the ambience of the reading hall was out of the world. This became another abode of me I ended up spending some quality time over there. A majority of the users who came there had come mainly to use the complimentary internet rather than reading. Here, I was introduced to the expatriate Indian writers which included Anita Desai and Jhumpa Lahiri. I still remember the first book that I borrowed and read from the Library was ‘Man-Eaters of Kumaon’ by Jim Corbett which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was a book describing the hunting expeditions of the author who was a well-known wild life enthusiast .There was a sequel to this book which I really wanted to read but couldn’t get hold of it. As I write this piece I recall this long forgotten fact and have just ordered the sequel of this book in Amazon. Going through the book I can very well recreate the thrill that I had experienced back then. It was a disappointment that The British Library in Trivandrum shut down over the years.
It would be disservice if I don’t mention about the Harry Potter series of books which turned out to be the biggest block buster of our times. You would be surprised to know that even though being a reading buff I have not read a single book of that series. For some odd reason I never felt interested in reading them. The reason could be that it became popular during the pressure cooker years (Class 10 to 12) that I described earlier. On hindsight I think it would have been the fantasy part of the book that might have put me off them .It was rather amusing to note that my cousins in Australia would camp near the book stores on the midnight of the release so that they could lay their hands on the book. Within the next 2-3 days they would complete that book and mail it to my younger brother here in India who would devour the book on a single brace. That way he would complete reading the book even before it is released in India and start bragging about it. 
Another prolific period of reading in my life was when I moved to Mumbai for work. I had plenty of time to spare and I was a regular at the footpaths that sold second hand books in and around Churchgate where my brother was based at that time. Since he was in college he himself had a good number of books which he would lend me to read.  That was when I was introduced to the likes of Paulo Coelho, Dan Brown and other contemporary writers of the time. I can very well recall the goosebumps that I experienced while reading “The Da Vinci Code” and “Angels and Demons” primarily because I am a devout catholic. Shataram is another book that captivated my attention at that time because it had Bombay at its heart and I have been living in Bombay for a few years then.
After marriage it became difficult to read a book because both of us were working and we had very little time to spend with each other. If I settled with a book at that time it would mean my spouse would just get bored. You can take away a book from the reader but never the habit of reading from him. Sensing my predicament my wife got me “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini as a birthday gift. I was very much overjoyed to lay my hands on a book that I finished reading the book over the weekend which was reminiscent of my College days. Thankfully, it helped me hit the reset button on my favorite hobby. This was just the start which eventually led me to get immersed in books from then on. All because of the timely intervention of my wife I was back into my groove. And boy it felt so wonderful to settle down with a book amid the din and fury of Corporate life. Meanwhile, she also started reading to keep herself occupied when I was with a book. I should say I was pretty impressed with her reading speed for someone who never pursued it as a hobby.
It was 20 years after “The God of Small Things” was written by Arundhati Roy that I read it. The whole time I was wondering as to what took me so long read this fine piece of literature. I loved it so much that my wife pre ordered the latest book by the same author ”The Pursuit of Happiness” even before its release. It was a first for me where I got to read a newly released book thanks to her. At work after moving into a new team, during my first interaction with my Senior Manager who is based out of Brazil, he happened to mention that he had read the former book and loved it. I told him that I came from a place that is just about 100 km from the town Ayemenem where the Novel was set. Ms Roy had managed to paint quite a vivid picture of Kerala in the mind of someone half way across the world, a testimony of her brilliance. That was enough for him to understand very well as to why I had an anglicized name and my background without any further explanation required from my side. 
Slowly I started to read more and more books by different authors. I also got in the habit of binge reading the books of an author whose book I liked. This happened with the authors Khaled Hosseini, Jhumpa Lahiri, Paulo Coelho, Gabriel Garcia Marques among others. “A Suitable Boy” by Vikram Seth which I completed reading recently on the recommendation of a dear friend with 1350 pages is till date the biggest book that I have ever read. I got to say this reading has its own advantages. Take the case when I was doing my MBA course we used to get Case Studies to read and analyse which ran into a good number of pages. My peers always used to complain about this especially during exams saying that such big case studies would eat away most of their time.I realized that I was always cool with it because my reading  speed was quite good thanks to my habit.
Fast forward a few years into the future and  I can sense the feeling of amusement in my son’s face when he is going to read from my Personal Journal that ‘Love in the Time of Cholera’ by Gabriel Garcia Marques was the book that I was reading at the time of his birth. At that time when I used to accompany my wife for regular checkups I made it a point to carry with me this book so that I could kill time while we are waiting for something or the other. I will not forget the bewildered expression in my wife’s face when I entered the labor room with the book in my hand. She is like “Are you going to read the book when I am in so much pain”. I promptly removed the book from her sight.

P.S:If you liked reading chek out a similar post in the topic by clicking the link below. 

Newspapers

Book reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment