Friday, June 20, 2014

Memories #2 A tribute to my Father

I pen these lines on the eve of the 20th Death Anniversary of My Dad Percival Bruno D'Cruz

I never knew Indian Police Service(IPS) was such a big deal when I was a kid and lived in Gwalior ,Madhya Pradesh. But later in life when I slogged it out for the UPSC Civil services exam I understood what a great thing it was. He had cracked the exam when he was 21 years of age and here I was with the best coaching in the country and a few years older didn't get to crack it. It speaks volumes of his character.

I remember him to be a strict disciplinarian and a total no nonsense guy. He would never take no for an answer from me. He was very particular that I needed to speak English well. I always used to converse with him in English never do i remember talking to him in Malayalam or Hindi. He inculcated in me a very strong value system. I came across one of the letters my Dad sent to my Mom when she was in Kerala. It goes something like this "Angelo the other day told me that he was having the General Science exam as oral but it later turned out to be a written exam when I inquired about it with his teacher I was told that it was never been oral. Angelo had lied to me because he did not want me to make him write. I gave him nice beating and made him kneel in front of the Sacred heart and made him say 10 Hail Mary. He later cried and said he wanted to go to Mamma ". That was how he taught me about honesty just imagine I was only a boy of 6 years then. Just tell me how many parents would do that today at least I wouldn't do it. It was such a novel way of teaching a kid on the importance of being honest.

I have heard from his peers in service from that he was an honest and upright Officer. Everyone who knew him has maintained that he was an exceptionally bright person and was very well read. I have heard from uncle Berky(my Dad's younger brother) that he used to read even the newspaper in which the sugar was wrapped. He always used to encourage me to read even as a kid and I owe my reading habit to him. He was also a very God fearing man.


I had the opportunity of reading his College journal and it gave me an insight into the person he was during his late teens.As a young boy in college he had the same apprehensions that any boy of his age had. He always had the hunger to suceed inspite of all odds and excel in life. What impressed me most was that he was equally good in both curricular as well as co curricular activities.The stack of certificates and a good number of trophies at home bear testimony to this. The other day my younger brother was telling me that he was thinking of quitting the college football team so that he can concentrate more on his studies I wonder what my Dad's take would be on that .He was an excellent orator and Ambrose takes off from my Dad on this regard



I remember reading a letter my Grandmother Mrs Lilly D'Cruz sent to my Dad when he was undergoing training in Sardar Vallabhai Patel National Police Academy,Hyderabad. She adresses him as my Dear Police Son and goes on with all the news at Tangassery. And I can't fail to notice how much  pride the mother takes on what her son has become that is something unmatched. It might be close to what my mother was feeling at the book launch of her younger son. I don't know. I recall Uncle Berty(my dad's younger brother) telling me how humble and down to earth their parents were. This humility is something that I have seen in my father as well.I remember with gratitude my Grandparents  Ambrose J DCruz and Lily D'Cruz here.I also would like to state that he was a family man and a God fearing individual.


During my adult life I have always wanted to hear the view point of my Dad on the everyday challenges  of  life, I really miss the man to man talk.  When you are a kid you don't realize what a big loss it is for you. It was the same with me I missed my Dad the most during my teenage years but hats off to my Mom and everyone who helped me through those tricky years.



I would sign off by commending my mother Adil D'Cruz who has done an excellent job in raising her two sons with great fortitude despite losing her husband at a very young age. If it had't been for her we would never be what we are today.


P.S:It was my Mom's idea that I need to write something on my Dad on account of his 20th Anniversary

More similar posts

No comments:

Post a Comment